We asked OrganicNearby co-founder, June Swatzell, about building an app that provides users with access to safe and healthy food by connecting consumers with local farmers, vendors, and products. The OrganicNearby team has known each other in the startup community for 10 years. June began working with Chris, who is the co-founder of brainiac. The team chose Bubble because the no-code platform allowed them to move forward quickly without the need to rely heavily on a technical co-founder.
Tell us about your app and what it does.
OrganicNearby was created to provide everyone with access to safe and healthy food by connecting local farmers, vendors and products with consumers.
OrganicNearby is a portal, search engine and directory that aggregates and provides the consumer with information about fresh, local and organic food sources, locations, and pricing within their community.
The goal of OrganicNearby is twofold:
- It is presently the only free resource for small farms and vendors to easily market their products.
- OrganicNearby is also a market place for health-conscious consumers to easily search for fresh, local and organic food in their community.
How does your app work?
As a food shopper, this is how OrganicNearby works.
1. For a consumer OrganicNearby transforms how we shop for groceries online by making it simple for consumers to search by product, location and growing practices for the foods they choose to eat.
2. For example, a consumer can search for eggs within their shopping area and all local eggs will come up which farmers and vendors have listed.
3. Presently with our filter you can search by distance, farming practices, (CSA, organic, regenerative, free range and more), by farm or vendor and by distance (also map).
4. Once the consumer finds the products they click through to the farm or vendor and can order directly and pick up at local farmers’ markets, have it delivered or shop at the farmstand/vendor.
Tell us a little about your background and how you discovered no-code tools like Bubble.
We are a team who have known each other in the startup community for 10 years.
Being non-technical with a compelling idea, I began working with Chris Wood an amazing inventor/entrepreneur/educator. Chris is the co-founder brainiac with extensive experience in technology, innovation and agriculture. Early on Connor Simpson, creative problem solver, jumped in designing our logo, landing page and newsletter. Our incredibly competent primary developer and designer is Adam Parish. Our MVP creator was Thiago Woroszczuk an entrepreneur and bubble developer in Brazil.
We found Bubble.io as the ideal platform through an introduction by Techstar’s mentor, Jaclyn Marshall, to Emmanuel Straschnov. Emmanuel liked our work and said he wanted to feature our site once we had it up and running.
Why did you build your app on Bubble?
Our team chose Bubble because it allowed us to move forward quickly without the need to rely heavily on a technical co-founder. Bubble enabled us to build all the functionality for our app without any cumbersome customizations. Discovering this tool provided an expedient roadmap for launching OrganicNearby.com.
What have been your milestones or successes so far?
Although I have a background in Product Management, this is the first web app I've built end-to-end. So far, I've been working closely with people I classify as 'voracious readers' which means they read over 50 books a year and I've spent an enormous amount of time speaking to them and using their feedback to iterate the product. The goal is to make the app as powerful as a big reader wants, while ensuring it is so easy to use that anyone can pick it up.
What are your next steps or future plans for your app?
Our milestones for success are:
- The gratitude of small urban farmers who message us and support the site by bringing on other farmers. We are the hope for the future for many farms.
- Coordinating with WSU Agricultural Extension Program which has put us on their website as a resource for small farms.
- Consumers engaging with our posts can see what fresh food is available in their area.
Bubble is a leader in the no-code movement. Bubble offers a powerful point-and-click web editor and cloud hosting platform that allows users to build fully customizable web applications and workflows, ranging from simple prototypes to complex marketplaces, SaaS products, and more. Over 500,000 users are currently building and launching businesses on Bubble - many have gone on to participate in top accelerator programs, such as Y Combinator, and even raise $365M in venture funding. Bubble is more than just a product. We are a strong community of builders and entrepreneurs that are united by the belief that everyone should be able to create technology.